Born 1935, New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. Joined RCAF as a recruit 1953, retiring 1985 with the rank of Captain. Began writing while in high school, continuing on through military career. Became serious and dedicated to poetry writing late 70’s, while a freelance journalist with the black newspaper Black Express. Have compiled more than 400 individual poems covering an eclectic assortment of subjects and genre, with a dominance on religion, seconded by cultural issues followed by military tributes.
Have published a trilogy of paperbacks on ‟the black experience.‶ Have also printed several books for children, as well as a dozen pamphlet-sized booklets on as many different subjects. Have been published in a grade 10 history text of Ontario schools. Published in dozens of anthologies, half-dozen newspapers, and many printed works by others.
- Have written ‟The Easter Story‶ and The Christmas Story‶ in poetic format, both of which have been performed as Dramatic Readings.
- As a songwriter, have written many songs (mainly religious), some of which were put to music in 1999 and formed the entire lyrics and libretto for a two hour live stage presentation titled ‟The Easter Suite‶ comprised of The Nova Scotia Symphony Orchestra, The Nova Scotia Mass Choir, Walter ‟The Voice‶ Borden (my brother) and half-dozen individual soloists.
- First place winner of a National Black Poetry Competition.
- Runner-up in League of Canadian Poets National Poetry Contest
- Talk Show Host – ‟Getting It Together‶
- – ‟Black Journal‶
- First black Executive Assistant to a Nova Scotia provincial cabinet Minister.
- Recipient of – Centennial Medal (1967)
- – Governor-General‵s 125th Medal (1992)
- Having one of my children‵s books (elementary level) published and launched by the Nova Scotia Education Department in February 2013. As a follow-up to the February launching, a second book is planned by the same department directed at the high school level.
- Waiting on providence to reveal the calibre and extent of ‟my gift‶ to the yet unaware public.
- Executive Director – Black United Front of Nova Scotia, Black Cultural Society of Nova Scotia
- Married, two adult children and three grandchildren, living in Dartmouth, N.S.